Tuesday, March 4, 2014

DIY TUFTED HEADBOARD

I've been talking about, pinning, and planning this headboard for months now. Ever since we upgraded from a full to a king and were left bed frame-less I knew I wanted something custom and eye catching to fill the space. It took me about two days of work, four hours or so, from start to hung. I went back and forth on if I would have it attach to the wall or bed but in the end it seemed like a much simpler process to just attach it to the wall. Of course I learned some awesome finger skin saving tricks right has I was wrapping up the last few buttons but at least I can pass them onto you!

This is going to be long and wordy but I know I work well with very specific instruction so hopefully this will help!

Step one: Cover your buttons! This is such a pain the butt, especially with a thick upholstery fabric. So you know what? Tim and I said screw it and hot glued the fabric on. You can use the press too - Either way looks great in the front and is holding up well. I covered 43 buttons in the span of a few Grey's Anatomy episodes.
Step two: Tim had my peg board cut at Home Depot. We went with 26"x80" to fit the foam I had and the width of our king bed. I laid it flat and planned out my buttons with a Sharpie - I choose to do 3 rows of 9 and 2 rows of 8. I found the very center peg hole and counted out 7 up and 7 across from there. This is totally personal preference though - How you want it to look in the end. I would just advise not getting closer then I did to the edge.
Step three: I cut down my foam (it was weird sized, a piece from Amazon or Joann's will be much easier to work with) and adhered it with a little spray adhesive. Next I worked to attach my batting around the foam to the back of the board using a staple gun. I highly recommend using a nomadic gun with an air compressor - Peg board is very dense. To finalize this step I used a long screw driver to punch through my selected holes into the foam, then I followed up that by cutting a X in the foam to create a passage for the buttons to sink.
Step four: I centered my fabric on my foam and started with the very center button. I put my needle, threaded with cording (similar to the kind on blinds), from back to front grabbed the button and came back through the same hole.
Here is the fun part - Once through with both ends of the cord, I would slip them onto a button. I would give it a quick tie, lay the board flat (back up), then using to pairs of pliers I would grab each end of cord and pull the knot as tight as I could while standing on the board. Then I would knot once more and glob with super glue for security.

I worked kinda in rows from the center and kinda up and down. I personally didn't worry too much about getting the perfect folds in the fabric. Finally when the buttons were all in I trimmed my fabric and attached to the back with staples. Tim was able to easily attach it to the wall using screws and the fact the board already has holes in it. We're about  a week in and it is holding up really well and I still stop and stare at it every time I walk in my room.
I'm not going to lie and say that this will be a super budget friendly project. It could be for a much smaller bed or if you have access to discounted materials. For example you could easily work with a cotton fabric that would be a quarter a price per yard or a twin bed would be less buttons and foam cutting the cost way down. In the end I spent about $80 on my project.

Things I would do different next time:
Use smaller buttons, maybe 3/4" or even smaller.
Burrow actual holes in the foam for the buttons to sink into. Maybe using a foam punch tool.
Do more of a "hospital" fold on my corners.

Supplies and price breakdown for my king sized headboard:
Peg board - $15
Foam - Free on trade from my mom. Similar found on Amazon for $50+.
Upholstery buttons - $20/for 50 purchased from my mom. Similar found here for $40+.
Fabric - $26/3 yards of upholstery chenille on clearance at Joann's.

Other possible purchases if you don't have or can borrow:
Long upholstery needle
Cord (I used cord exactly similar to the kind you find in blinds. It was perfect for pulling tight and having a good hold).
Random small buttons
Spray adhesive
Super glue

I am so in love with the way our room is shaping up! Stay tuned for some amazing ikea hack nightstands coming next week. My Country Chic Chalk paint arrives today and I am so excited to dive right in.

If you have any questions feel free to ask in the comments! I would love to hear of you try to make one of your own. It's really pretty easy once you get going.
xoxo melissa

3 comments:

melissa rohr said...

Cute! I want to make one but I'm afraid it will turn into one of the many things I start then.... ya know, forget about.

melissa rohr said...

I think it turned out fabulous! Love it!

melissa rohr said...

This is adorable!